Skip to main content

Update

I haven't posted in sometime so I thought it prudent to give you an update on my situation. In the last post I mentioned about an expectation of delays at Person. It appears this secondary screening now happens at most Airport border crossings. Whether you are subjected to it or not seems to be up to the official. It can be rather embarrassing if you are traveling with friends or colleagues because they'll move you to that secondary room and if busy - will keep you there until just prior to your flight.

ALWAYS make sure you are there well before your departure. I now give myself at least 2 hours prior to my flight. If I have a connection, I always make sure there is plenty of times. I've seen on a few occasions people in the secondary screening rooms actually miss their flights.

I've made approximately 12 crossings since my last post. I travel down to the US often for work. So much so that a lot of the officers actually know me by face now. This can help particularly if you show respect and you are prepared with you papers and are cordial. At the end of this month I'll be making my first crossing for personal reasons. My wife and kids are planning a holiday in the southern US states. I'll post about my experience at that time.

I get a lot of personal messages regarding application wait times. If you have recently received your waiver I would be interested in how long the process took for you. You can message me privately or in response to this post. Thanks and good luck.

Comments

  1. My husband applied for his waiver on January 15, 2005 - almost three years ago. Our lawyer checks regularly and is always given the same answer ... the file is still in the FBI background check process. I've followed many blogs over the years and I can say that I've never heard of anyone waiting anything close to three years! We are extremely frustrated. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have an "A" number? You should, and with it you can call and check for yourself. 3 years indicates a problem with your application.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we have an "A" number. Our lawyer regularly calls the office where the application was filed and the answer is always the same. We have been assured that the file is not lost but is in for the FBI background check. We are have been that occasionally background checks can take this long. Are you suggesting we call someone other than the office where the application was filed? If so, please advise who we should contact. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I applied for my waiver at Pearson Int'l in July or August of 2005 (was that a bad year for waiver applications or something?). I finally received my waiver in October of 2007. I hand't been making enquiries about it, having seen so many stories about applications being stuck in the FBI name check process - I assume that's what it was. I did get asked for a current RCMP CRC (criminal record check) in about June of 2007 - I guess I should have supplied it in the first place, despite advice that I had gotten that supplying my sealed (due to a pardon) criminal record was all that was required. So, yeah, wait times can vary widely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got my i-194 after 4 1/2 months waiting. Application was done at Pearson airport. It was issued for 1 year and I must say I was surprised to get it so soon. Thanks for great info on this site. It helped me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I filed my I-192 form in march 2009 at Champlain, NY and received a one year I-194 waiver in January 2010. 10 months wait.

    By the way, thanks for the info on your blog! Very useful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have an I-194 waiver?

Thanks to those who participated in my recent poll "Do you have an I-194 waiver?". It turns out that of those who participated over half have applied or intend to for the I-194 waiver (Advance Permission to Enter as a Non-Immigrant). It is also interesting to note that the amount that have 1 year or 5 year waivers are very close (3 to 4). I had read somewhere that the waivers were granted as 1 year or 5 based on the degree or seriousness of the past offenses. If this is true, then wouldn't a person expect that if he/she were granted a 5 year waiver, he/she should always expect the 5 year waiver? I'd be happy to hear your comments and personal experiences on this. Update: See  I-192 Waiver Application Process

Check Your Waiver Application Status

I've never tried, but apparently there is an email address to check your waiver application status. CHECKING THE STATUS OF YOUR WAIVER REQUEST: Please allow at least 120 days from the date of submission of your I-192 before making an inquiry about the status of your application. As stated earlier, a full review of your circumstances can take up to a year, and requests for status updates may add to that timeline. However, if for some reason you are concerned about the status of your request, and you filed at a CBP Preclearance location or at a land border port of entry after August 26, 2007 you may ask for an update by emailing inquiry.waiver.aro@dhs.gov . In the email, be sure to provide your full name, DOB and your A number. If you filed at a land border port of entry prior to August 26, 2007, please contact them directly. Phone numbers are on our Web site. Attorney inquiries: attorneyinquiry.waiver.aro@dhs.gov If you have submitted an application and you have had a chang

I-194 waiver renewal - another 5 years!

Great news! Today in the mailbox, just 3 months and 2 weeks after submitting my I-192 application with a Saturday interview at the Ottawa pre-clearance facility, I received my renewal (my second 5 year I-194 waiver) . This second 5 year waiver once again allows me to travel to the US for business and pleasure (B1/B2) for a maximum period of stay as determined by the admitting officer (the CBP officer on entry) . Have waiver, will travel! See updated information about renewals:   I-194 waiver renewal recap