Skip to main content

Pardon = Record Suspension

In early 2012, the Canadian Government made sweeping changes to the Parole Board of Canada via the 'The Safe Streets and Communities Act' (Bill C-10). As of March 13, 2012, the term "pardon" was been replaced with "record suspension". Click here for changes to eligibility.

My update.

I started my Pardon (Record Suspension) process through a third-party service Pardons Canada back in February, 2010. The actual application was filed by them to the Parole Board (PBC) in March, 2011. So it's been about 18 months since filing and I've still not received my response. Back in June, I wrote to Pardons Canada for an update and they responded:
Your Pardon application has been with the Parole Board of Canada (PBC) since March 3, 2011.

The file is no longer in our hands. We are now waiting for the PBC to give their final approval.

Please be patient as there are delays due to changes of legislation to the Pardon rules. Please click here www.pardons.org if you would like further information regarding these changes.

We will notify you as soon as the decision has been made. Please make sure to let us know if your address or phone number has changed. Please DO NOT respond to this email. 

Remember to always go to our Client Support Centre at www.pardons.org whenever you have questions or need to send us information.

Kind Regards,
Client Support Centre

18 months seems like a long time for a Pardon determination. I am a little frustrated in my decision to go with Pardons Canada in the first place. Although they've been fairly responsive, I have felt quite blind throughout this process. Did Pardons Canada truly file on March 3, 2011? Additionally, I cannot check status of my application directly with PBC. The PBC website:
For applicants who choose to use a third-party service provider, correspondence around the application will continue to be directed to the service provider from intake (i.e. receipt of the application) up until the recommendation for decision.
And the decision is directed through the third-party service:
Once a decision is made by the Board, it will be sent to the mailing address the applicant provided in the Record Suspension Application form. However, it will now be sent in a double envelope – the outside envelope will use the mailing address provided by the applicant, and the inside envelope (containing the decision) will be addressed to the applicant, and marked “protected” and “to be opened by [recipient’s name] only”.
So what if Pardons Canada is so busy that my 'decision' has been sitting on someone's inbox pile for the last few months unopened? To that point, how quickly do these third-party providers turn around these decisions of PBC? I'm not concerned 'if' I will receive my pardon but rather my anxiety continues to be 'when' I will receive it. I have no idea.

Applying for a Record Suspension is actually quite simple and straight forward. PBC provides a guide: http://pbc-clcc.gc.ca/prdons/pardon-eng.shtml

If I could do it all over again, I would have done it myself and not used a third-party. The benefit for me would clearly have been better visibility, throughout this process.



Comments

  1. As an employee with another competing third-party Pardons company, I can confirm that it is not unusual for files submitted in March of 2011 to the PBC to not yet be granted. In all likelihood, it has not even been assigned to an officer yet. This is because you have submitted under the old PBC fee of $150. It has since gone up to $631 in February, and the PBC is processing those applications faster, and leaving the old ones by the wayside. It's a truly terrible practice, and we're all very upset and angry about it. Unfortunately that's just how it is at the moment. I can confirm that some individuals who sent their applications in December of 2010 still don't have their pardons, so you certainly aren't the only one.

    Also I can't say for Pardon's Canada, but we tell our clients their pardon has been granted the day that it comes in. I see no reason why Pardons Canada wouldn't do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment.

    It's good to know from your professional experience that decisions are flipped to the clients right away. PBC sitting old applications 'by the wayside' is crazy and seems terribly error-prone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Canada, the Pardon is essentially an expungement.

    US Waivers For Canadians

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have an I-194 waiver?

Thanks to those who participated in my recent poll "Do you have an I-194 waiver?". It turns out that of those who participated over half have applied or intend to for the I-194 waiver (Advance Permission to Enter as a Non-Immigrant). It is also interesting to note that the amount that have 1 year or 5 year waivers are very close (3 to 4). I had read somewhere that the waivers were granted as 1 year or 5 based on the degree or seriousness of the past offenses. If this is true, then wouldn't a person expect that if he/she were granted a 5 year waiver, he/she should always expect the 5 year waiver? I'd be happy to hear your comments and personal experiences on this. Update: See  I-192 Waiver Application Process

Check Your Waiver Application Status

I've never tried, but apparently there is an email address to check your waiver application status. CHECKING THE STATUS OF YOUR WAIVER REQUEST: Please allow at least 120 days from the date of submission of your I-192 before making an inquiry about the status of your application. As stated earlier, a full review of your circumstances can take up to a year, and requests for status updates may add to that timeline. However, if for some reason you are concerned about the status of your request, and you filed at a CBP Preclearance location or at a land border port of entry after August 26, 2007 you may ask for an update by emailing inquiry.waiver.aro@dhs.gov . In the email, be sure to provide your full name, DOB and your A number. If you filed at a land border port of entry prior to August 26, 2007, please contact them directly. Phone numbers are on our Web site. Attorney inquiries: attorneyinquiry.waiver.aro@dhs.gov If you have submitted an application and you have had a chang

I-194 waiver renewal - another 5 years!

Great news! Today in the mailbox, just 3 months and 2 weeks after submitting my I-192 application with a Saturday interview at the Ottawa pre-clearance facility, I received my renewal (my second 5 year I-194 waiver) . This second 5 year waiver once again allows me to travel to the US for business and pleasure (B1/B2) for a maximum period of stay as determined by the admitting officer (the CBP officer on entry) . Have waiver, will travel! See updated information about renewals:   I-194 waiver renewal recap